Expedia releases summer travel cheat sheet, revealing cheapest times to fly
With summer vacation FOMO taking hold, Expedia offers a look at the season’s trending destinations and tips to help travelers get the most out of their summer trips, including how to get the cheapest fares of the season.
“People are ready to make their summer vacations happen no matter what,” said Christie Hudson, head of public relations for Expedia. “With the easing of many travel restrictions over the past month, travelers have been inspired to dust off their to-do lists and start planning. Prices are already reflecting this pent-up demand, so timing will be key to getting the best offer.”
Summer hot spots
Here are some of the trending destinations travelers are looking for for summer getaways, based on recent spikes in flight searches1:
- The happiness of the beach: bali (+35%), Maldives (+25%), Santorini (+20%), Los Angeles (+20%), Bar Harbor (+20%)
- City breaks in the United States: Chicago (+40%), Houston (+55%), washington d.c. (+35%), Austin (+30%), New York City (+30%)
- Adventures Abroad: Singapore (+60%), stockholm (+35%), Ontario (+35%), Berlin (+30%), dubai (+20%)
National and state parks and other outdoor destinations are expected to remain popular this summer as top road trip destinations, including Mount Rushmore, Banff and Yellowstone National Park.
The best times to travel this summer2
- August is the cheapest month to travel, with average ticket prices (ATP) almost 10% lower than July and 5% lower than June.
- The most expensive day to fly is 1st of Julystthe Friday preceding the 4th Julyand during the holidays, when the average ticket price is 25% higher than the average for the summer months.
- Between June and August, the highest ATPs are usually found on Fridays and the cheapest tend to occur on Tuesdays.
Where to fly under $350 round trip2
Here are some of the cities with lower average ticket prices $350 for the summer months:
- Fort Lauderdale
- San Antonio
- myrtle beach
- New Orleans
Expert advice for booking this summer’s getaway
- Book early and book smart: As with demand, prices will likely increase over the months, making last-minute deals harder to come by. Travelers should lock in their plans early by using the “free cancellation” filters on Expedia and choosing flights with waived change fees. While it may be tempting to save a few bucks by choosing restrictive economy or economy base fares, selecting flexible options will not only save travelers money in the long run, but also provide peace of mind. of mind because plans can change.
- Be flexible with dates: When possible, travelers should remain flexible with their travel dates. For example, choosing a weekday over a weekend or avoiding travel during holidays can save money. Use price calendars and create price alerts to track prices and close a deal.
- Group to save: More likely than not, travelers will need a plane ticket, a hotel and sometimes a rental car for a single trip. Booking them together — also known as a bundle — on Expedia can save travelers hundreds of dollars.
- Get more with membership: The easiest way to save is to create a free Expedia Rewards account, unlocking access to member rates 10% off or more on thousands of hotels. Plus, members accumulate points to save on future travel and earn exclusive perks and perks at top-rated properties around the world.
1Summer hotspots are destinations that saw peak flight searches in March for travel between June 1 – August 31, 2022. Search growth compares the first week of March to the last week of March.
2Best time to travel and where to go under $350 round trip based on the average price of tickets booked through March 28, 2022 to travel between June 1 – August 312022. The list is ordered by price, from lowest to highest, ranging from $275 – $345.
Expedia® is one of the world’s leading full-service travel brands, with a mission to help travelers get the most out of every trip they take by providing everything they need in one place, by making sure they get the most out of every trip they take, and most importantly, feel supported every step of the way.
Our commitment to providing insights coupled with our unprecedented scale enables us to understand our travelers better than anyone, providing them with exactly what they need, when they need it. Our personalized experiences backed by incredible technology allow us to provide the broadest selection of product offerings across accommodations, transportation, activities and experiences that help you get the most out of your trip.
Use our mobile app or visitexpedia.com to plan your trip with us.
© 2022 Expedia, Inc., an Expedia Group Company. All rights reserved. Expedia and the Airplane logo are trademarks of Expedia, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. CST#2029030-50.
Notes to Editor:
The well-being of travelers is our priority. Expedia understands how the global impact of the coronavirus pandemic continues to affect travelers around the world, as well as the importance of adhering to government restrictions and practicing social distancing. Travelers can visit theExpedia COVID-19 Travel Resource Pagefor information to make informed travel decisions.