Residents / Fellows / Sub-trainees | VA Nebraska-Western Iowa Health Care
To participate in the program you have chosen at the VA, you will need to meet the following integration requirements. Part 1 must be completed at least 21 days before your start date. If it is not completed on time, it may delay or remove the entry in your rotation.
Please work closely with your VA contact point (link below) to avoid unnecessary delay; these liaison officers are available to assist you and answer your questions.
Part 1 – Mandatory for the resident: start 30 to 45 days before the internship
- Fingerprints – Mandatory for all trainees to obtain a PIV card (for computer access).
- Call the Omaha VA PIV office at 402 / 995-5225 to make an appointment. The PIV office is located in the basement of the VA main hospital, room B804.
- You will need to bring a driver’s license or passport to your appointment.
- Bring your completed fingerprint form: VA Fingerprint Form (link below)
- If you are out of town, fingerprints can be taken at another VA. You will need to request a courtesy fingerprint for the Nebraska Western Iowa Health Care System (NWIHCS), 4101 Woolworth Avenue, Omaha, NE 68105. You will need the following information: Security Officer Identifier (SOI) # VAF5 and Submitting Office Number (SON ) # 1445. Please contact your Omaha VA POC when completed.
- Online “Compulsory training for trainees” – Mandatory for all trainees.
- You must create an account in VA’s Talent Management System (TMS) and complete the assigned training to gain computer and patient access. Follow the instructions given on the TMS instructions (link below) to access the site, create your account and follow your training.
- See the list of contact points for any necessary information below:
- The supported VA location. OMA, select VA Medical Center
- Your type of trainee and specialty / discipline. Health Professions Trainee
- The first name, last name, email address and phone number of the VA contact point.
- This is an annual requirement that must be kept up to date to avoid termination of computer access.
- VA Forms – Please follow these instructions carefully to prevent your documents from being returned to you: Tips for completing your VA documents (link below)
These five forms are required for integration:
- WOC Letter (link below)
- VHA 10-2850D – Application for Trainees in Health Professions (link below)
- OF-306 – Federal Declaration of Employment (link below)
- SF-61 – Affidavit of Appointment (link below)
- Sponsorship request form (link below)
- Pharmacy signature card (link below)
- Information sheet on residents, fellows and sub-trainees (link below)
- VA Form 10-3203 (link below)
- Part 2 – Internal VA processing
- Part 3 – PIV sponsorship and acquisition of the PIV card
- Once internal VA processing is complete, you will be contacted by your VA department POC with instructions to schedule your appointment to collect your PIV card.
- Part 4 – CPRS (Computerized Patient Record System) training
If your job requires you to have personal access to CPRS medical records, you will need to complete this training which is divided into two parts; An online course on TMS to take before the start of your internship and a face-to-face registration session with our CPRS team at the start of your internship. You will receive detailed instructions from your POC department / service on how to meet these requirements.
- If you have general questions, please contact the Education Office contact listed on this page or your department / point of contact.
Omaha Virginie, room 9427